Thursday 28 February 2008

Love's Philosophy

"And the sunlight clasps the earth,

And the moonbeams kiss the sea -

What are all these kissings worth,

If thou kiss not me?"

(Shelley)


These lines from Shelley's poem, 'Love's Philosophy',were frequently quoted in Sunday's fabulous opening episode of the 3-part detective drama, 'Lewis'. DI Lewis and his sidekick investigated the murders of 2 people who were involved in the forgery of some 19th Century letters from Shelley's wife, Mary Shelley.
I will type the full poem and put it at the end of this post. When Percy Bysshe Shelley wrote this verse, I don't for one minute think that he was referring to love and kisses between man (or woman) and his canine friends! I just love to be kissed by Trevor. Kisses (or licks) from the mad pooches stink and knowing where their tongues have been, I try to avoid any contact with my mouth but will allow them a small nose-lick! However, love? Well, I'm growing mighty fond of the little terriers.....

Who could not love this little fella......

....who has a penchant for bog rolls?


...or this little chap, who looks at us with sorrowful eyes?


Here they are again, tugging away. They've temporarily 'gone off' us and want to get at the sheep behind them.



And still speaking of love, who could not love living in a village with all this land, just round the corner? Ah, this is the life.........

LOVE'S PHILOSOPHY

The fountains mingle with the river

And the rivers with the ocean,

The winds of heaven mix for ever

With a sweet emotion;

Nothing in the world is single,

All things by a law divine

In one another's being mingle -

Why not I with thine?

See the mountain's kiss high heaven

And the waves clasp one another;

No sister-flower would be forgiven

If it disdain'd its brother:

And the sunlight clasps the earth,

And the moonbeams kiss the sea -

What are all these kissings worth,

If thou kiss not me?

Percy Bysshe Shelley 1792-1922


2 comments:

Steve said...

Gorgeous poem. Nice to read it again - thank you! I must admit much as I love dogs I'm not one of these people that can happily submit to a good bout of dog french-kissing... the vague taste of Winalot momentarily kills the affection in me...!

Annie G said...

Heh heh, very funny Steve! It wasn't the Winalot I was thinking of really!